Friday, December 30, 2011

The Gift of Giving

After celebrating Christmas about 21 times, I can say that this particular year held the most meaning in my heart.  I’ve been given many gifts over the years, from toys to games and money. However, this year included more giving rather than getting.  Seeing the smile on another’s face is a gift in its own.  I experienced what it truly means to be selfless, and I must admit that the results were great.  I was given a large amount of money in gift cards that I planned to spend on myself, but instead decided to use on my father and sister, and it turned out very well.  It’s especially pleasing for me because I’m not really good at choosing physical gifts; I’ve always been the type of person to buy gift cards and allow others to choose on their own.  When you give a gift to another person, you tend to be so elated from their happiness that you forget about your own, and that’s what being selfless is all about.  I realize now why it’s called the season of giving and not receiving.  The true gratefulness in the holiday comes from being charitable rather than covetous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment